FIRE PREVENTION SAFETY TIPS

Whether or not you are in a fire prone land, it pays to have the knowledge on how you can prevent the occurrence of such in your home. Where does usually fire starts? What most likely to trigger it? If it occurs, how can you ensure your safety, and your families? Such maybe small information but can be life and death when tragedy strikes.

So what is the common cause of fire in a household?

Among the most common reasons of fire in the neighborhood is the faulty electrical wiring. This usually occurs if the house is not properly maintained, and have foundations that help with the fast spreading of the fire. Typical materials include wood that is often seen in old houses. It doesn’t help that there are often combustible materials that are not properly stored such as fuels, thinner, paints, and cleaning materials among others.

Other reported triggers include cooking, heating and electrical equipment. This results to fire when they overheat after being left unattended for so long. Same with candles which are commonly used as home decorations these days. Scented ones are often used to remove foul odors in a home. It is also used to create a romantic atmosphere for dinners and luncheon, especially if there are visiting guests. The may look appealing to the eyes but they can be cruel when not put off at the right time.

Improper disposal of cigarette butts is a common cause of fire as well. Especially if it is disposed with easily-burned materials such as paper, dried leaves, and wood. This is not only dangerous in a household, but is also one of the common cause of forest fires which can spread several miles per minute. During Christmas season, the number one cause of fire among household are the lights and decorations. While unsupervised children playing with matchsticks is another cause all-year long.

If you are going to analyze, all of these could be prevented by taking safety measures in your household. By as simple as paying attention to the needed maintenance, you can prevent the problem on faulty wiring to persist; Unplugging of appliances when not in use is another, and of course not leaving your kids with flammable unsupervised. Better yet, you can create a child-proof home and maintain a proper storage for easily combustible materials in your home. Lastly, you should ensure that your cigarette butts are properly put out and disposed off.

You can also take additional precautions such as installing smoke and fire alarms for early detection. Practice also the fire drills and never ever prioritize gathering your ‘important’ things if fire starts in your home. Prioritize your family’s safety always and ensure that their safety comes first above anything else. It is better to be safe than sorry.

While searching for the most effective ways to buy motivated seller leads, you can check out other safety precautions you can take to ensure the safety of your household. Make it a habit also to store in your phone directory the numbers to call in case of fire.

Safety Tips

In the Kitchen

Kitchens are part of the house which is often the starting point of fire. Why not? when this is where flammables are usually located. This is why we enumerated here things that could be done to prevent fire from building in a household.

  • Clean your oven and the stove top prior to the holidays. The heavy usage can cause grease to build up and cause a fire.
  • Use caution when working near heat sources.
  • Keep cooking areas clean and clear of combustibles.
  • Wear clothes with short or tight-fitting sleeves when you cook.
  • When cooking do not place potholders near or on the stove top as they can catch fire.
  • Always accompany the food being heated. Do not leave the kitchen when cooking.
  • If you have to leave the kitchen for a period of time, turn the stove off.
  • Never cook if you are sleepy, heavily medicated or intoxicated.
  • Keep all appliances free of oil and grease buildup.
  • Use oven mitts to handle hot pans.
  • Older children helping out in the kitchen should never be left alone.
  • Keep children away from any appliances when cooking.
  • Keep your pets away from cooking areas.
  • Use timers when cooking.
  • Do not to reach over the stove top for other combustible items.
  • Be careful around the sink/water while using electrical appliances to avoid electrocution.
  • Plug one appliance in a receptacle at a time.
  • Keep appliance cords as short as possible. To prevent tripping, and/or knocking hot appliances over.
  • Keep an ABC dry chemical fire extinguisher near the kitchen.

Stove Top Fires

  • If a pot or pan should catch fire cover it with a lid to smother the fire.
  •  Turn the burner off and let the pot or pan cool.
  • Do not attempt to pick up the pot or pan. Carrying the pot/pan increases the chances of getting burned and spreading the fire.
  • Fire can spread to the walls or vent pipes quickly. As a precaution, call the Fire Department.
  • If a chemical extinguisher is close by and you know how to use one, use the extinguisher to put out the fire. It is best to use a class ABC fire extinguisher.
  • If that does not work, evacuate the house and call 9-1-1.

Oven fires

  • If there is a fire in the oven, turn the oven off.
  • Shut and keep oven door closed.
  • Fire can spread to the walls or vent pipes quickly. As a precaution, call the Fire Department.
  • If a chemical extinguisher is close by and you know how to use one, use the extinguisher to put out the fire. It is best to use a class ABC fire extinguisher.
  • If that does not work, evacuate the house and call 9-1-1.

Grease Fires

  • If you are cooking with oil or grease and it ignites, do not throw water on the fire.
  • Do not attempt to remove the pan.
  • Turn the burner off if you can reach it safely.
  • Carefully monitor hot oil, keeping the pan lid close at hand.
  • Smother the fire with a pan lid.
  • Do not pour burning oil into the sink.
  • If a chemical extinguisher is close by and you know how to use one, use the extinguisher to put out the fire. It is best to use a class ABC fire extinguisher.
  • If that does not work, evacuate the house and call 9-1-1.